Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iTunes for Windows so terrible take 1 million

i spend more time uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes on Windows 10! it works fine on ipods, ipads, macs, why not Windows. I even tried the Windows Store version and it is missing a lot of stuff and still needs uninstalled and reinstalled!

I can use youtube, spotify, HBO Go, HDHomerun, Netflix, AMAZON!, everything and yet the super smart Apple people can not get something that has had issues for over a decade fixed!

they will say "have you tried to un-install and re-install?" -->yes and yes and yes

took over an hour to listen to 1 song without it crackling and popping and messing with drivers and …… and during this whole thing everything else above works perfect.

[Edited by Host]

Posted on Jul 20, 2018 6:33 PM

Similar questions

17 replies

Jul 21, 2018 3:57 AM in response to Tielor1223

Your initial post was long on rant, but extremely short on explanation of the problem you are having. The nearest we get to an explanation is:

took over an hour to listen to 1 song without it crackling and popping and messing with drivers and …… and during this whole thing everything else above works perfect.

... which will make it almost impossible to help you. Not only is your rant not helpful, but we don't need to know about things that are working perfectly.

So that leaves:

1. took over an hour to listen to 1 song without it crackling and popping and messing with drivers
  2. also Apple Music they need to be separated and have a separate Apple Music service
  • "Crackling and popping of music" could be a problem with the source file rather than iTunes. What steps have you taken to ensure that your music is okay?
  • "messing about with drivers": Are you suggesting that playing a song in your iTunes Library is altering software drivers elsewhere on your computer? I've never heard of such a thing, I (currently) don't see how this is possible
  • Apple Music: are you trying to listen to Apple Music that has not been downloaded to your computer (in other words, are you streaming music)?

Jul 23, 2018 8:47 AM in response to Tielor1223

Can you give some more details on the issue(s) you are encountering? You've alluded to several:

• Problems with installing updates - this appears to be frequent for some users, though the vast majority seem able to get and install successive versions of iTunes without issues.
  • Poor sound quality when streaming - have you tried altering iTunes' audio settings (Edit > Preferences > Playback, Play Audio Using dropdown)?
  • Conflicts with Windows drivers - can certainly happen, though I've never heard of or found scenarios where iTunes modifies or interferes with drivers or settings
  • Conflicts with using NAS devices - as previously noted, iTunes doesn't work well if its library is stored with a NAS.

You're right, though, that those who only subscribe to Apple Music and only listen to streamed audio would be better served by a light(er) weight app that does nothing else. Those of us who don't use any of iTunes' streaming services would be happy to see these disappear from the core product 🙂

Jul 24, 2018 3:26 PM in response to hhgttg27

• Problems with installing updates - this appears to be frequent for some users, though the vast majority seem able to get and install successive versions of iTunes without issues.
    • right now I have it working fine. next update Apple and/or Windows does most likely will be doing this all over again.
    • the update installs fine but what happens is when I listen to music-watch a movie or tv show I start getting crackles and pops. then I check the drivers and all that and everything says it is fine but it is annoying.
    • uninstall and reinstall iTunes multiple times -- after uninstalling I have also removed all traces so everywhere of iTunes. once it is reloaded sometimes it will won't even start even if I try run as admin. found that if I "trouble shoot sound problems" it will fix it temporarily.
  • Poor sound quality when streaming - have you tried altering iTunes' audio settings (Edit > Preferences > Playback, Play Audio Using dropdown)?
    • yes I will mess with it. I try to keep it set as the same as the Windows audio settings. this is most likely the culprit though. Apple wants the software to inject its junk and Windows wants it to use its junk and they just clash. Apple should allow the software to be subservient to the host Windows computer.
    • the windows pc will set it to what is set for under the speakers advanced tab.
  • Conflicts with Windows drivers - can certainly happen, though I've never heard of or found scenarios where iTunes modifies or interferes with drivers or settings

yes when I have this issue I will remove drivers and reinstall them. I will try all sorts.

• Conflicts with using NAS devices - as previously noted, iTunes doesn't work well if its library is stored with a NAS.
    • this can use NAS but you want the ITUNES library directly on the NAS and have the NAS be the server. I used to do this but iTunes is so buggy it becomes a job.
    • I work in telecom and at home I just like to stream. I use to use it but why bother downloading hundreds of movies and music? movies will play from the apple TV at 4K streaming and unless Apple wants to up its anti in the music world and update its music to HI-RES it is pointless.
    • so NAS is used for only fun and the security cameras storage on net.

Apple Music should be delivered like YouTube. go to something like applemusic.com log in and press buttons. then the sound is between the computer and the type of browser one is using.

thank you for trying to help.

tyler

Jul 21, 2018 8:56 AM in response to the fiend

I understand where you are coming from. however there has been many of the same issue all over the internet since 2010 and maybe longer. the issue is always the same and the troubleshooting is always the same. My main point is ITUNES is broken and should go away.

APPLE MUSIC should of had its own streaming set-up without the need of ITUNES.

I have already did everything on the troubleshooting and at this time for the next day to month it will be stable.... but then it will be a repeat right when they update ITUNES or Windows updates something. it is fact at this point.

Jul 21, 2018 9:09 AM in response to Tielor1223

also I quit downloading content to ITUNES long ago. that in its own is always glitchy. so I only stream over the internet both the hundreds of movies I purchased on ITUNES and also the APPLE MUSIC subscription we pay for. no point in downloading--then ITUNES glitches and I have to reload it and mess with it trying to sync up with my NAS.

soooo. lets blame the internet connection--wrong 🙂 --like I said when I tunes keeps crackling and popping no other service on the internet does this. ALSO let us say I download a song to iTunes to verify it is not the internet. well it is still crackling and popping.

Jul 21, 2018 10:13 AM in response to Tielor1223

Am I to assume then, that the only purpose of your initial post was to rant? It certainly appears to be that way, but that's not what this forum is for. Apple can - and do, delete posts that are simply rants. Perhaps it why you received the reply to which you took exception.

Tielor1223 wrote:

APPLE MUSIC should of had its own streaming set-up without the need of ITUNES.

Buy a radio.

Jul 22, 2018 6:13 AM in response to Tielor1223

"I have already did everything on the troubleshooting and at this time for the next day to month it will be stable.... but then it will be a repeat right when they update ITUNES or Windows updates something. it is fact at this point."

This strongly suggests that there's something inherently unstable about your system as the vast majority of users don't encounter these issues.

"ITUNES glitches and I have to reload it and mess with it trying to sync up with my NAS."

That could be the root of your problem: it seems well established that iTunes and NAS storage (if used to hold the iTunes library) don't play well together. If you are only using Apple Music and only using streaming for playback, where does the NAS fit into your setup?

Jul 23, 2018 5:06 AM in response to hhgttg27

I said I only stream. Fact others have the same issue. Fact ITUNES and other Apple products like the Mac are far behind the competition unfortunately.

Fact my and other people’s issue is only with ITunes and any Windows based computer.

Why does it not work when at the same time other streaming services are perfect? I have to uninstall and install.

Is it possible that other services are just over a web GUI interface and no software is required? If Apple Music would have the same setup me and a lot of others would not have this issue that is fact too.

I appreciate your guys help but this same question has been asked a lot in this same forum.

Jul 29, 2018 11:44 AM in response to Tielor1223

😮 Oh my goodness!

I tried to explain this to you before: if you spent your time explaining your issue, and rationally, instead of chucking "stuff" into the discussion because you think it adds weight to it, then we might be able to help and you might get somewhere. Worst of all, despite you finding all these discussions, presumably, not one of them offers a solution. That suggests to me that the problem has yet to be explained sufficiently well enough for anyone to work out how to fix it.

All you're doing is weighing the discussion down to the point that it will be overloaded.

Correction: all you have done is overload this discussion to the point that it will never, ever, be resolved to your satisfaction.

Aug 8, 2018 5:10 PM in response to the fiend

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/08/2018-macbook-pro-crackling-speakers-reports /

the point is there is not a fix. i appreciate all who tried to help. the real issue is Youtube, and all other streaming services work just fine. Apple used to be way ahead of the pack and they have developed this following of all that think it is the best. Which is good and awesome. i am one that enjoys using all other apple products and use them daily. With this issue i just use a IPAD now and hook up a Camera kit to a DAC now and listen to Apple Music and have zero issues.

they have a had a crackling issue the last 2 generations of their own product which they fix with a software update--this update on Windows machines is something they don't care about as much especially since it is happening to their own line as well. And everyone on this forum will make each one feel like they did something wrong too. Apple is 100 percent perfect. 🙂. Apple has lost their ability to proactively fix issues before they just release products even though most new products take a year to be available after they announce them. 🙂.

As before i appreciate your help. Since i have 6 iPads, multiple Iphones, ipods, and so on i can have separate stuff set up and still be able to be productive on a windows machine-just have to take the headphones off when i am doing an online class with video's.

have a good day and thank you again.

Why is iTunes for Windows so terrible take 1 million

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.