Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

My iPhone battery draining faster after iOS 17.4.1 update

I have an almost brand new iPhone 13 (2 weeks old) and I just updated it to iOS 17.4.1 last night. Since that the battery runs out way faster, before the update i could use it for 20 minutes without losing 2 percents. I’m aware that battery life decreases after a while, but not in 2 weeks. Do you think a new update will change this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 3:06 PM

My iPhone 14 Pro Max is draining super fast the last few days. Yesterday I dropped below 10% which never happens. Today I’m down to 25% after only 5 hours. That’s crazy depletion I’ve never experienced.

53 replies

Apr 9, 2024 11:30 PM in response to SravanKrA

Absolutely disagree.

Many users like me use the phone in the same way update after update so it is not how you use the phone.

If an update is not well optimized it affects the phone’s performance and also the battery.

In this particular case with iOS 17.4.1 many users we have seen that our battery is draining faster than with iOS 17.4 and I’m not using the phone in a different way I had been using before. Thus of course the update has a direct impact in the battery if it is not well optimized.

Apr 14, 2024 12:18 AM in response to réka163

Same here, from the moment I've updated my iPhone 12 Pro to IOS 17.4.1, the battery started to drain REALLY fast - I used to not charge the phone at night and waking up after 8 hours of sleep with 5-10% battery drain, now I wake up with no battery at all. also on daily usage - I have to charge 2-3 times, I used to stay start the day with 85% and end it (10:00-20:00) with about 30%, after the update it's just impossible to go out without a portable charger..

Apr 12, 2024 7:07 AM in response to réka163

I have a iPhone 12 Pro. Did the update (17.4.1) yesterday and my battery went from 100% to 12% in 3 hours! I called Apple support and they said my battery failed the test. Battery health was at 86%. I did change the battery directly with Apple and it somewhat better, but not as good as it was.

It seems like YouTube & YouTube Music is draining the battery a lot more.

Apr 14, 2024 11:28 AM in response to SravanKrA

Yes there are many reasons why a battery will drain quickly. In my case, my utilization of my phone did NOT change in anyway since updating. Prior to the 17.4.1 update, my battery would last 10-14 hours with my normal usage. Since the update the battery drains very quickly; 100%-30% in 4 hours - my usage has NOT changed. From review of this forum - I see that I am not alone. Where is APPLE in this discussion?

Apr 14, 2024 5:53 AM in response to réka163

I too have has severe drain problems since 17.4.1, maybe it is a temporary gimmick to get people to upgrade phones? btw it's not like Apple hasn't been successfully sued for things like this before https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/apple-starts-sending-out-iphone-batterygate-settlement-payments-what-to-know/ . Hopefully everyone is aware of such disgusting practices. I hope also that Apple is honest and sincere enough now to not delete this post.

Apr 16, 2024 6:24 PM in response to réka163

I hate charging my phone battery all of the time and after the 17.4.1, that is what I am doing now.

I've been using iPhones for many years and this is not the first time that I am updating my phone to a new OS.

It happens every time, you upgrade and the phone takes a while to get optimised in the background, you give a couple of restarts over a period of 2 weeks and it settles down and the battery drainage ceases.

But after the 17.4.1 it is not going away, have a 13 Pro and I have not changed any of my usage habits, used to charge after 2 days when it was around 30%, my battery is still showing a maximum capacity of 92% but after the update I have to charge it twice a day, which is totally unacceptable. I thought about upgrading to 15 Pro but reading about 15 Pro users having the same issue.

Apr 17, 2024 5:46 AM in response to réka163

I have a brand new iPhone 15 Plus and after updating to iOS 17.4.1. I am also experiencing severe battery drain. My battery is set to optimize battery charging. I’m doing the same routine and charging it at the same percentage that I always do. Bluetooth is turned off, etc. This is also happening to my husband’s iPhone and both of our iPads. We have done backups to all of our devices before updating the software. So Yes, I do blame the iOS 17.4.1 update. If everyone is having the same issue of severe battery drain, we all can’t be wrong.

My iPhone battery draining faster after iOS 17.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.